An eclectic group of individuals who have two things in common: faith in Jesus and a connection to St. John's College. Here we gather, across time and space, to carry on a dialogue.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
build it and they will come...
Posted by Kristi at 11:10 AM
Field of Dreams anyone? You could say I have been both inspired and nostalgic; I've been aware of a lack and seeking a way to fill it.

Nostalgic: Missing good conversations and fellowship with like-minded individuals. This I found in abundance in various circles while I was at St. John's in Annapolis. The most significant instances were outside the classroom, and mostly amongst other Christ followers.

Inspired: I began to think, how can I create outlets for good conversation and good fellowship? Having left the college community in 2004, and moving back to Kentucky, I sought friends who would read books with me and sit down to discuss them. I sought out fellowship with other Christians in a local church... These have all been fruitful. But I still missed the community among believers back at SJC. I contemplated how I could stay connected with Johnnies even though I was living far away from them. So I have been maintaining my own blog over at beingtransformed.blogspot.com, and as one friend commented, it has sort of become a meeting place for Johnnies as people post comments over there. I also have been a reader of boarsheadtavern.com, a site where over 30 Christians from diverse backgrounds keep a lively conversation going; I have been encouraged by its long- standing success and fruitfulness.

Keeping these things in mind, I decided to try a group blog to incorporate my fellow Johnnies and brothers and sisters in Christ into a big on-going conversation via the web. I still plan on maintaining my own personal blog, but the purpose here at sjcfellowship.blogspot.com is to keep our connection as friends and family going.

So what will we do here? We will talk theology, or wax philosophical. We can share announcements and prayer requests. And we'll probably talk about books, especially the Good Book.

So who is this for? Believers and Johnnies.

Believers: You follow Jesus Christ. We could say, basic agreement to the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds, which is enough common ground for me.

Johnnies: You have attended St. John's College in either Annapolis or Santa Fe at some point, even if you didn't stay, or you are an honorary Johnnie. Honorary Johnnies include spouses of Johnnies, and those that get this honor by sharing the same Spirit and spirit of learning (perhaps the occasional midshipman or close relative, like a sibling).

If this interests you, well, join the conversation. Help make this place what you want it to be, as my only goal is to maintain close communication with those that gather here. For now, I will be the main administrator incase you have any questions, technical issues, suggestions, or monetary tips... ;) If you have a homepage or favorite website or online resource you'd like me to link on the sidebar, just shoot me an email. Posting pictures is also welcomed.

You may wonder, why Blogger? Well, of the Johnnies I know of who maintain their own blogs, Blogger seems to be the favored host. However, if this site is thriving a year or two from now, I may look into switching to somewhere else that would allow for greater freedom and flexibility. Also, in light of the fact that I will be moving to Belarus in a few short months (Lord-willing), and may not be stopping in here as frequently, I will be asking a few other individuals to oversee things and deal with the administrative stuff. If you are a bit of a computer techie and plan on being a contributor, let me know if this would also interest you...

So the St. John's College Fellowship blog has begun...
0 Comments
Show All/Hide All